fbpx

Intro to Creative Writing Summer Camp 2024

$275.00

Not sure where to begin in your writing journey? Stuck in a writing rut and ready to explore a world outside of your typical style? In this course, high school students dip their toes into a variety of writing genres such as poetry, short stories, and personal narratives. They will explore the elements and characteristics of each genre while crafting original pieces and building a varied, well-rounded writing portfolio.

Learn more below.

Description

Looking for creative writing summer programs for high school students? You are in the right place!

Curriculum Summary: Participants of all skill levels will share, discuss, and evaluate various forms of creative writing and compile a well-rounded portfolio of samples, including:
– an observational poem,
– an introspective letter,
– an emotional short story,
– a three-scene play,
– a micro-memoir, and
– a work of flash-fiction.

Throughout the course, writers will practice the fundamentals of creative composition, such as showing vs telling, point of view, character development, and writing from personal experience. Our final class will culminate in a knowledge-sharing session about how to develop healthy writing habits and effective revisionist techniques.

Intro to Creative Writing Camp: Virtual Summer Camp for Teens (ages 13-19)

Schedule: June 24 – June 28, 11:00 am-12:30 pm ET

During workshop sessions, you’ll engage in interactive writing activities, connect with peers around the world, and work together to grow your writing skills.

Between workshop sessions, you may be asked to work independently (and asynchronously) on writing prompts and activities, guided by peer and expert reviews, at your own pace, for approximately 1-2 hours, depending on your facilitator’s workshop plan. You will also receive individualized feedback that will strengthen your writing.

*Please note that we require all participants to appear on either video or audio during online group meetings (video is preferred, but not required).

A Zoom link to join us for our live, virtual online writing camp will be provided via email prior to the start date. Stay tuned!

Guest Speaker:
Susan Ring

Susan Ring

Susan Ring has been writing stories and songs for over 25 years. She began her career at an ad agency, eventually moving on to CBS and PBS networks. Her experience in television includes creating the Moose A. Moose and Z Bird characters for Nickelodeon’s Noggin and writing music for the science show 3-2-1 Contact, for which she received an Emmy Nomination. Susan later expanded into writing children’s books and has written over 100 leveled readers as well as trade books for major publishers such as Disney, Scholastic, Random House, and more. Her picture book Where Should Turtle Be? received a Moonbeam Children’s Book Award. Susan has also worked as a copywriter for Hasbro and creative brand writer for Mr. Potato Head. Over the years, her projects have received numerous awards including a Primetime Emmy, Cine Golden Eagle, Dr. Toy, iParenting, and Parents' Choice Awards. When she’s not writing, Susan can often be found riding her bike (with her bird hitching a ride), hiking with her dogs, or attempting to create a decent watercolor painting.

Workshop Facilitators:

David Keohane

David Keohane

David serves as an Expert Reviewer, Advisor, and Site Moderator at Write the World. He is a Theatre Arts graduate from Boston University, where he studied acting, directing, playwriting, and theater management. Currently based in the Mid-Hudson Valley region of New York, he freelances as a creative storytelling teacher and mentor, specializing in Shakespeare, dreamwork, and nature studies. David has an enthusiasm for in-depth critical feedback and encouraging a sense of personal play for young writers across the globe.

Anna O’Connor

Anna O’Connor

Anna is extremely passionate about children’s and young adult literature and published her first children’s picture book in 2020. In addition to children’s literature, Anna has had her short stories and articles published online and in national newspapers. A Quercus scholarship recipient, Anna is known for her work as a writer and activist. She is currently pursuing a BA in English at University College Cork, where she also serves as the Creative Writing Officer of the English Literature Society. As a former Write the World writer and community ambassador, Anna is extremely excited to support young writers in their creative growth.

About Write the World's Virtual Summer Writing Camps:

Jump into new genres of writing and connect with campers across the globe in Write the World’s Virtual Writing Camps.

Spend your summer immersed in a virtual community of teen writers from over 100 countries as you experiment with the written word, try your hand at new styles of writing, and work with notable professionals to create pieces you’re proud of… all without leaving your home!

Whether you choose to spend your free time filling journals with poetry and prose or are new to putting your thoughts on paper, we welcome you to join our week-long writing camps across genres in June, July, and August, 2024.

Have additional questions? Check out our parent and guardian FAQ’s here (scroll to bottom) or reach out to us at workshops@writetheworld.org to connect!

You may also like…

  • Fiction Writing: The Art of Storytelling - Writing camp for teens

    Fiction Writing: The Art of Storytelling

    $275.00 Add to cart
  • Intro to Poetry and Spoken Word writing - poetry camp for teens

    Intro to Poetry Virtual Summer Camp 2024

    $275.00 Add to cart
0
    0
    Your Cart
    Your cart is emptyReturn to Shop