fbpx

Science Fiction and Fantasy Virtual Summer Camp – July 11-July 15, 2022

$249.00

From monsters to centaurs, cars that fly to computers that cure disease, the sci-fi and fantasy genres—consistently favorites among Write the World writers—allow authors and readers to dream big, carrying us into alternate universes that inspire us to think differently about our own. In this workshop, participants will focus on key tools in a sci-fi/fantasy writer’s toolbox, learning about worldbuilding; captivating characterization; how to use dialogue as a tether to our world and a portal to another; the intricacies of creating compelling conflicts; and more! Writers will work towards the creation of their own flash sci-fi or fantasy story to take with them into the (human) world beyond camp and will connect with a special guest speaker, a professional fantasy author, who will answer participants’ questions about writing, publishing, and more!

Learn more below.

Out of stock

Description

Curriculum Summary:

Participants of all skill levels will walk away with 7+ draft writings dedicated to numerous craft techniques in the scifi/fantasy genres (e.g. characterization, conflict/stakes, worldbuilding, dialogue), as well as one finalized flash scifi/fantasy story. Writers will receive and provide peer review from/for fellow campers and will benefit from individualized feedback from their instructors. Participants will also have the opportunity to engage in an interactive Q&A session with literary agent and sci-fi/fantasy author Becca Podos.

 

Science Fiction and Fantasy Virtual Writing Summer Camp for Teens (ages 13-19) Schedule:

July 11-July 15, 2022, 11:00 am-12:30 pm ET

During workshop sessions, you’ll engage in interactive writing activities, connect with peers around the world, and work together to grow your writing skills.

Between workshop sessions, you may be asked to work independently (and asynchronously) on writing prompts and activities, guided by peer and expert reviews, at your own pace, for approximately 1-2 hours, depending on your facilitator’s workshop plan. You will also receive individualized feedback that will strengthen your writing.

*Please note that we require all participants to appear on either video or audio during online group meetings (video is preferred, but not required).

A Zoom link to join us for our live, virtual online writing camp will be provided via email prior to the July 11, 2022 start date. Stay tuned!

Workshop Facilitator:

Brittany Collins facilitator Poetry and Spoken Word Virtual Summer Camp photo

Brittany Collins designs and facilitates educational programming at Write the World while working directly with students, teachers, and partner organizations to support their use of the platform. She studied English and education at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst, and creative nonfiction at the Yale Writers’ Workshop; is the author of Learning from Loss: A Trauma-Informed Approach to Supporting Grieving Students (Heinemann 2021); has published over 30 articles in the genres of creative nonfiction and education journalism in The Washington Post, Education Week, Brevity blog, Inside Higher Ed, Edutopia, We Need Diverse Books, English Journal of NCTE, among other outlets; and has taught writing to students of all ages through Harvard University, Smith College, Boston University, Race Project Kansas City, and Write the World. Reach out to her at brittany@writetheworld.com — she would love to hear from you!

Instructor:

Chris Feeney

Chris Feeney is a graduate of Middlebury College, holding a BA in English Literature and Creative Writing. At Middlebury, he studied in a variety of workshops, ranging from poetry to playwriting to fiction, and spent a semester assisting high school students with writing their first full-length play as part of Vermont’s Young Writers’ Project. In addition to writing his own fiction, which has been shortlisted in CRAFT Literary magazine, Chris reads submissions for the New England Review. Previously a writer on Write the World, Chris now works as an Expert Advisor and Workshop Mentor where he seeks to bring out the best in a young person’s writing and to cultivate an enduring love for the craft. As an emerging writer, Chris understands how daunting it can be to put new words on a new page, and he loves to make this process enjoyable, enlightening, and a little bit easier.

Guest Speaker:

Speaker for Sci-Fi/Fantasy Virtual Writing Workshop for Teens

Rebecca Podos' debut novel, THE MYSTERY OF HOLLOW PLACES (Balzer + Bray), was a Junior Library Guild Selection and a B&N Best YA Book of 2016. Her second book, LIKE WATER (Balzer + Bray), won the 2018 Lambda Literary Award for LGBTQ Children's and Young Adult. Her latest releases are FOOLS IN LOVE (Running Press Kids), a co-edited YA anthology with Ashley Herring Blake, and FROM DUST, A FLAME (Balzer + Bray). Rebecca is an agent at the Rees Literary Agency in Boston by day. (Photo Credit: Zaynah Qutubuddin/ Zaynahqutubuddin.com)

About Write the World's Virtual Summer Writing Camps:

Jump into new genres of writing and connect with campers across the globe in Write the World’s Virtual Writing Camps.

Spend your summer immersed in a virtual community of teen writers from over 100 countries as you experiment with the written word, try your hand at new styles of writing, and work with notable professionals to create pieces you’re proud of… all without leaving your home!

Whether you choose to spend your free time filling journals with poetry and prose or are new to putting your thoughts on paper, we welcome you to join our week-long writing camps across genres in June, July, and August, 2022.

Have additional questions? Check out our parent and guardian FAQ’s here (scroll to bottom) or reach out to us at workshops@writetheworld.com to connect!

0
    0
    Your Cart
    Your cart is emptyReturn to Shop