fbpx

Science Fiction and Fantasy Virtual Summer Camp

$275.00

From monsters to centaurs, cars that fly to computers that cure disease, the sci-fi and fantasy genres—consistently favorites among Write the World writers—allow authors and readers to dream big, carrying us into alternate universes that inspire us to think differently about our own. In this workshop, participants will focus on key tools in a sci-fi/fantasy writer’s toolbox, learning about worldbuilding; captivating characterization; how to use dialogue as a tether to our world and a portal to another; the intricacies of creating compelling conflicts; and more!

Learn more below.

Description

Curriculum Summary:

Participants of all skill levels will walk away with 7+ draft writings dedicated to numerous craft techniques in the scifi/fantasy genres (e.g. characterization, conflict/stakes, worldbuilding, dialogue), as well as one finalized flash scifi/fantasy story. Writers will receive and provide peer review from/for fellow campers and will benefit from individualized feedback from their instructors.

SciFi/Fantasy: Imagine New Worlds Virtual Writing Summer Camp for Teens (ages 13-19)

Online Writing Workshop Sci Fi Fantasy Schedule: July 8 – July 12, 11:00 am-12:30 pm ET 

During online writing workshop sci fi fantasy, you’ll engage in interactive writing activities, connect with peers around the world, and work together to grow your writing skills.

Between workshop sessions, you may be asked to work independently (and asynchronously) on writing prompts and activities, guided by peer and expert reviews, at your own pace, for approximately 1-2 hours, depending on your facilitator’s workshop plan. You will also receive individualized feedback that will strengthen your writing.

*Please note that we require all participants of the online writing workshop sci fi fantasy to appear on either video or audio during online group meetings (video is preferred, but not required).

A Zoom link to join us for our live, virtual online writing camp will be provided via email prior to the start date. Stay tuned!

What Teens Say About Our Writing Camps:
Guest Speaker:
Rebecca Podos

Rebecca Podos

Rebecca Podos' debut novel, THE MYSTERY OF HOLLOW PLACES (Balzer + Bray), was a Junior Library Guild Selection and a B&N Best YA Book of 2016. Her second book, LIKE WATER (Balzer + Bray), won the 2018 Lambda Literary Award for LGBTQ Children's and Young Adult. Her latest releases are FOOLS IN LOVE (Running Press Kids), a co-edited YA anthology with Ashley Herring Blake, and FROM DUST, A FLAME (Balzer + Bray). Rebecca is an agent at the Rees Literary Agency in Boston by day. (Photo Credit: Zaynah Qutubuddin/ Zaynahqutubuddin.com)

Workshop Facilitators:

Chris Feeney 

Chris Feeney 

Chris is a graduate of Middlebury College, holding a BA in English Literature and Creative Writing. At Middlebury, he studied in a variety of workshops, ranging from poetry to playwriting to fiction, and spent a semester assisting high school students with writing their first full-length play as part of Vermont’s Young Writers’ Project. In addition to writing his own fiction, which has been shortlisted in CRAFT Literary magazine, Chris reads submissions for the New England Review. Previously a writer on Write the World, Chris now works as an Expert Advisor and Workshop Mentor where he seeks to bring out the best in a young person’s writing and to cultivate an enduring love for the craft.

Anna O’Connor

Anna O’Connor

Anna is extremely passionate about children’s and young adult literature and published her first children’s picture book in 2020. In addition to children’s literature, Anna has had her short stories and articles published online and in national newspapers. A Quercus scholarship recipient, Anna is known for her work as a writer and activist. She is currently pursuing a BA in English at University College Cork, where she also serves as the Creative Writing Officer of the English Literature Society. As a former Write the World writer and community ambassador, Anna is extremely excited to support young writers in their creative growth.

About Write the World's Virtual Summer Writing Camps:

Jump into new genres of writing and connect with campers across the globe in Write the World’s Virtual Writing Camps.

Spend your summer immersed in a virtual community of teen writers from over 100 countries as you experiment with the written word, try your hand at new styles of writing, and work with notable professionals to create pieces you’re proud of… all without leaving your home!

Whether you choose to spend your free time filling journals with poetry and prose or are new to putting your thoughts on paper, we welcome you to join our week-long writing camps across genres in June, July, and August, 2024.

Have additional questions? Check out our parent and guardian FAQ’s here (scroll to bottom) or reach out to us at workshops@writetheworld.com to connect!

You may also like…

  • Fiction Writing: Begin Your Novel - Writing camp for teens

    Fiction Writing: Begin Your Novel

    $275.00 Add to cart
  • Fiction Writing: The Art of Storytelling - Writing camp for teens

    Fiction Writing: The Art of Storytelling

    $275.00 Add to cart
0
    0
    Your Cart
    Your cart is emptyReturn to Shop