fbpx

15 Gift Ideas for Young Writers

Gift Ideas for Young Writers

As we enter the holiday season, there is no shortage of cute and quirky gifts for a writer, from Edgar Allan Poe-ka Dots socks to candles smelling like antique books. When offering my gift recommendations, I think back on which products have personally helped my writing practice and what has gone unused or inevitably collected dust in my closet.

Of course everyone has their own writing process and preferences, rendering it impossible to find a universally perfect present. However, if you’re searching for inspiration, here are fifteen suggestions for what may bring joy to a young writer this holiday.

1. “On Writing” by Stephen King

Every writer can benefit from a seasoned author’s advice. My personal favorite is this classic by Stephen King. King’s advice is practical and straightforward, interspersed with memories from his life through which you see his writing style in action. You do not need to be a King fan, or even a horror fan, to benefit from this book. Other instructional books I have enjoyed and recommend include “Bird by Bird” by Ann Lamont and “Big Magic” by Elizabeth Gilbert.

2. Penguin Books Tote Bag

These Penguin Books tote bags, such as this one featuring the cover of A Room of One’s Own by Virginia Woolf, are a classic gift idea for young writers or book-lovers. A tote bag is endlessly useful for carrying notebooks, pens, a laptop, and other supplies when you are writing on the go, and these bags allow writers to celebrate their favorite authors or novels at the same time.

3. Writers on Earth: New Visions for Our Planet

Give the gift of inspiration with Writers on Earth, a published collection of reflections, essays, stories, and poems by the incredible young writers that make up the Write the World community. The book comprises 33 pieces, hand-selected by the editors at Write the World. 

4. Owl Crate

Being a good writer means being a good reader. With a book subscription service, young writers can receive a monthly fix of creative inspiration. Companies like Owl Crate specialize in YA books, but there are countless other book-of-the-month services available. Along with the monthly book, a box from Owl Crate offers a bunch of other book-related goodies; some past examples include metal bookmarks, enamel pins, and art prints.

5. IndieBound Book

Alternatively, if there is a specific book you have in mind, consider ordering it through IndieBound to support an independent bookstore. Ordering directly from a writer’s local bookstore adds a personal touch to your gift and, as a bonus, helps a small business in need. If you’re stuck on what book to get, try purchasing a gift card directly from a local store.  

6. Rite Rain Weatherproof Spiral Notebook

There is a time and a place for expensive leather-bound notebooks, but I find them a bit too precious for daily use. For heavy-duty writing sessions, I prefer a durable spiral notebook like this one by Rite Rain. Sometimes you need the flexibility of writing by hand, and this notebook is a faithful companion that can withstand a spilled beverage, or unpredictable weather if writing outdoors.

7. Noise-Canceling Headphones

I recommend noise-canceling earbuds or headphones to block out background noise during a writing session. Headphones are a necessity to drown out conversations in libraries and coffee shops, and I also find that listening to music while I write gets me in the mood of a scene. Earbuds are my preference for portability, but some people prefer the comfort of headphones.

8. Bluetooth Speaker

If they like working in the comfort of their own space, your young writer might prefer a Bluetooth speaker so they can blast music while they are writing. For someone who likes to write wherever inspiration strikes, you might consider getting a waterproof speaker that can brave the elements.

9. Scrivener

I don’t recommend Scrivener for everyone, but I can guarantee a serious, tech-savvy writer will love its unique features. Many well-known authors swear by the program, while others prefer a simpler approach. Scrivener is a word processor, outliner, corkboard, and notebook all in one. It allows you to keep notes and pictures on file, write a story in chunks at a time, easily rearrange scenes, set target word counts, and export your work in whatever format you need.

10. Mood Lighting

Getting into a creative headspace can be a tricky thing, especially when you are writing at home with lots of distractions. Something that can help to set the mood for writing, such as a quirky candle or a moon lamp, could be a great gift idea for young writers.

11. YETI Rambler Insulated Mug

I like to nurse a hot beverage during long writing stretches. After growing tired of getting up from my desk multiple times to microwave my cup of coffee, I bought a YETI mug and never looked back. These double-wall vacuum-insulated mugs are engineered for camping and can keep contents hot or cold, so writers can take their fuel anywhere. As a bonus, the mug and lid are dishwasher safe.

12. Sticky notes

This simple gift is a great stocking-filler, and an absolute must for many writers. From making quick notes, to laying out plot points in a story, to planning a character arc, sticky notes can be a crucial tool in the writing process. Grab a pack made from recycled paper for a more sustainable option.

13. College Essay Review

Do you know someone who is writing their college essay? Ease their mind with Write the World’s College Essay Review Service, which provides detailed and personalized feedback within just 48 hours. Even the best writer needs an expert editor on their side!

14. Pen Keychain

I can’t count how many ideas I’ve almost forgotten because I didn’t have a pen on hand to note them down. A pen keychain, which could also be attached to a backpack, belt loop, or badge holder, is a fun and novelty way never to miss that spark of inspiration.

15. Subscription to a Literary Magazine

I love journals and literary magazines, as they are a great way to read a variety of work and stay up to date with what’s happening in the writing world. Consider getting them a subscription to a magazine like The New Yorker, Granta, or The Paris Review—who knows, they may even be featured themselves one day!

Facebook
Twitter
Email
Pinterest
Print
3 Students talking on campus

College Essay Review Service

With Write the World’s College Essay Review, you’ll have a college essay editor on your side – anytime, anywhere. Submit drafts to our team of Advisors for review, and receive fully personalized, multi-page reports within 48 hours. 

Janelle Milanes, writing instructor Flash Fiction
About Janelle Milanes

Janelle is an educator and writer whose novels have been featured in the New York Times book review and listed as part of Bank Street College’s Best Children’s Books. Originally from Miami, Florida, she received her BA in English Literature at Davidson College. Her passion for writing led her to New York City to work at Simon & Schuster, where she gained experience in editing and educational marketing. After publishing, Janelle pursued a Masters degree in Special Education and taught in K-12 schools for ten years. She has since hosted writing workshops and mentored students to help them achieve postsecondary success.

Related Post

0
    0
    Your Cart
    Your cart is emptyReturn to Shop