fbpx

Teaching Assistantship

Work with teen writers from around the world, support celebrated and caring authors, editors, and educators, and gain experience engaging middle and high school students in writing.
Become a Teaching Assistant at Write the World!

Founded in 2012 at Harvard University, Write the World has become the leading global writing platform for teens. Using pedagogical methods developed at the Harvard Graduate School of Education, we expertly guide students through the writing process, from first drafts to publication-worthy pieces. 

With a strong record of hosting monthly writing competitions featuring noted guest judges, including Amanda Gorman, US Inaugural Poet; Sarah Hurwitz, former head speechwriter for First Lady Michelle Obama; and US Poet Laureate Robert Pinsky, as well as partnerships with such organizations as Facing History and Ourselves, Journalism Education Association, PEN America, and JFK Library Foundation, we are dedicated to making real-word connections between writers and their local and global communities. The writing produced on our platform has been published in three literary journals and highlighted in The New Yorker and PRI’s The World.

In 2021, we will expand our writing community through a series of Global Writing Workshops. Two virtual, synchronous programs— Write the World Writing Camps and Write the World Poetry Workshops— will provide teens ages 13-19 the opportunity to connect with peers around the world, learn from experts in the field, explore a range of writing genres, and improve and share their craft in a supportive community.

About Our Programs

In July and August, 2021, we will host eight distinct virtual writing camp sessions. Each session runs for one week, Mon-Fri, and comprises daily 90-minute synchronous meetings held via Zoom (in most cases, from 11-12:30pm ET), as well as approximately 2 hours of asynchronous writing time.

In each session, up to 25 campers explore new styles of writing and work with notable authors, editors, and educators to create pieces they’re proud of. Writers of all levels will participate in the following offerings (for full camp descriptions, please click here):

  • Sci-Fi/Fantasy — July 5-9  
  • Screenwriting — July 12-16 
  • Writing Poetry for Social Justice — July 19-23 
  • Flash Fiction — July 26-30  
  • Writing to Change the World —  August 2-6
  • Humor Writing — August 9-13
  • Learning from Agents & Editors: Writing for Publication — August 16-20
  • Micro Memoirs — August 23-27

In June, 2021, we will launch the first of four virtual poetry workshops taking place throughout the calendar year. Designed to provide a primer of poetic styles and forms, connect teen writers with professional poets, and empower participants as they find, raise, use, and share their voice, the four distinct offerings include…

✏  Find Your Voice: An Introduction to Poetry – JUNE 12, 19, 26 (11-12:30 EDT)

🎤  Raise Your Voice: Slam and Spoken Word Poetry – SEPT 25, OCT 2 & 9 (2:00-3:30 EDT)

🌐  Use Your Voice: Writing Poetry for the Environment – OCT 23 & 30, NOV 6 (11-12:30 EDT) 

📖  Share Your Voice: Writing Poetry for Children – NOV 13 & 20, DEC 4 & 11 (11-12:30 EDT)

About the Teaching Assistant Role

Write the World seeks college students at the undergraduate and graduate levels who are enthusiastic about our mission to support global literacy education for teens; adept at supporting expert authors and educators in executing their instructional goals;  and committed to mentoring middle and high school writers from around the world in a respectful, inclusive, and caring virtual writing community. 

As a Write the World Teaching Assistant, you will:

  • Attend all workshop sessions for your assigned program(s), facilitated by an expert author, editor, or educator.
  • Attend up to two Write the World training sessions prior to your assigned program(s), for approximately 2 hours total.
  • Provide Expert Reviews— individualized, rubric-based feedback and comments— to participants in your assigned program(s).
  • Assist with technology-related components of your assigned program(s), such as managing— and helping students and guest teacher(s) manage— the Write the World writing platform, coordinating Zoom breakout rooms, sending out daily announcements and assignment reminders, etc.
  • Complete administrative and instructional tasks as assigned by your guest teacher.
  • Answer participant inquiries and, in some cases, host virtual office hours between sessions to support teen writers. 

Write the World Teaching Assistants will receive:

  • Approximately 15-20 hours of Teaching Assistant experience, depending on the number of program participants.
  • Experience working with and learning from esteemed authors, editors, educators, and publishing professionals.
  • Direct experience mentoring middle and high school students’ writing through in-depth, rubric-based feedback, synchronous support, and more.
  • The unique opportunity to work in a community of over 30,000 teens from more than 100 countries.
  • Mentoring from the Write the World team and guest teacher(s) on teaching techniques and more.
  • $100 honorarium.
  • The opportunity to apply to other positions at Write the World as available, including our Expert Reviewer role.

Who you’ll work with:

As a Teaching Assistant, you will work directly with one of our Guest Teachers— a celebrated author, editor, or educator— as well as the following members of Write the World’s education team:

Brittany Collins

Brittany designs and facilitates educational programming at Write the World while working directly with students, teachers, and partner organizations to support their use of the platform. She holds a B.A. in English and Education from the University of Massachusetts, Amherst, and has published over 20 articles in the genres of creative nonfiction and education journalism, with works featured in such outlets as The Washington Post, Education Week, Edutopia, Inside Higher Ed, and English Journal of NCTE, among others. Brittany is passionate about social-emotional learning and trauma-informed teaching, and her first book– on the topic of grief support in secondary schools– is forthcoming with Heinemann Press of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. At Write the World, she has helped hundreds of students hone their writing skills, tell their stories, and connect with an authentic audience of readers around the world.

Liza Cochran

Liza stewards the education vision at Write the World, working with community members to develop innovative writing curriculum and programming. A longtime educator and writer, Liza has designed and implemented writing curriculum in high schools, colleges, and community centers across the US, including the Colorado Rocky Mountain School, Emerson College, and Grub Street Writing Center. Liza holds a Bachelor’s degree from Brown University, where she studied writing, education, and environmental science, and a Masters in Fine Arts degree from Emerson College, where she studied creative writing. You can find her work in the Colorado Review, Gettysburg Review, and Fifth Wednesday Journal.

How to Apply:

To apply for the role of Write the World Teaching Assistant, please send the following materials to Brittany at workshops@writetheworld.com with the subject “TA Application” no later than April 9, 2021:

  • Resume/CV and Cover Letter including the college or university you are currently attending, as well as current contact information.
  • Statement of recommendation from a college professor or advisor who can speak to your experience and readiness for this position.
  • Availability & Interest — Looking at the dates of our Poetry Program Workshops and Summer Camps, which sessions are you available for? Please list all availability, expressed in the Eastern US time zone. Within the offerings that you’re available for, please feel free to note those you’d most like to TA for (and why), and any prior experience that makes you especially eligible to support those offerings.
      • Optional: Writing sample. We value, but do not require, the opportunity to read 2-5 pages of your own writing, in any genre, that demonstrates your strengths.
      • Optional: Sample feedback to students. We value, but do not require, the opportunity to review any past materials that exemplify your approach to providing feedback on middle or high school students’ written work.

Decisions will be announced by April 23, following interviews with selected candidates.  Training sessions for accepted TAs will begin in May. Please feel free to email Brittany at workshops@writetheworld.com with any additional questions!

0
    0
    Your Cart
    Your cart is emptyReturn to Shop