fbpx

Fiction Writing: Begin Your Novel

$275.00

Interested in writing a novel, but not sure where to begin? Do you have a story idea you’ve been eager to get on paper? Or perhaps you’re a few chapters in and feeling stuck! This camp welcomes students at any stage of the writing process.

While the thought of writing a book-length work may seem challenging, our Novel Writing camp breaks the journey down into short, achievable goals. Students will lay the foundations for a longform project by brainstorming story ideas, creating character profiles, developing plot maps, and diagraming a narrative arc. Writers will walk away with a plan for pursuing novel-length works, as well as original writing to build out into a longer story. Young writers who are interested in learning more about the publication process, for short or long-form writings, are encouraged to also explore our Writing for Publication camp.

Learn more below.

Description

Curriculum Summary:

Participants of all skill levels will walk away with 5+ draft writings and a deepened understanding of best practices for approaching and planning longform writing projects. From mapping the narrative arc of a text to considering how techniques such as characterization, dialogue, conflict, setting, and other elements of craft differ in novel-length works (versus short stories or flash fiction projects), participants will leave with a completed outline of a novel project and draft writings that explore various fiction techniques. Writers will also receive and provide peer feedback and will benefit from individualized feedback form their instructors.

Fiction Writing: Begin Your Novel Writing Camp: Virtual Summer Camp for Teens (ages 13-19)

Schedule: July 29 – August 2, 11:00 am-12:30 pm ET

During workshop sessions, you’ll engage in interactive writing activities, connect with peers around the world, and work together to grow your writing skills.

Between workshop sessions, you may be asked to work independently (and asynchronously) on writing prompts and activities, guided by peer and expert reviews, at your own pace, for approximately 1-2 hours, depending on your facilitator’s workshop plan. You will also receive individualized feedback that will strengthen your writing.

*Please note that we require all participants to appear on either video or audio during online group meetings (video is preferred, but not required).

A Zoom link to join us for our live, virtual online writing camp will be provided via email prior to the start date. Stay tuned!

Guest Speaker:
Giselle Vriesen

Giselle Vriesen

Giselle Vriesen (she/they) lives on Halalt First Nations land on Vancouver Island Canada and is the author of her debut novel Why We Play With Fire through through Row House Pub. She is the co-creator of the Anti-Racism Course for Educators, and teaches writing through her course Book Baby which encourages marginalized writers to decolonize through storytelling. Giselle is also a dreamer, a crafter of tiny worlds both in art and the written word, and is constantly managing her anxiety.

Workshop Facilitators:

Chris Feeney

Chris Feeney

Chris is a graduate of Middlebury College, holding a BA in English Literature and Creative Writing. At Middlebury, he studied in a variety of workshops, ranging from poetry to playwriting to fiction, and spent a semester assisting high school students with writing their first full-length play as part of Vermont’s Young Writers’ Project. In addition to writing his own fiction, which has been shortlisted in CRAFT Literary magazine, Chris reads submissions for the New England Review. Previously a writer on Write the World, Chris now works as an Expert Advisor and Workshop Mentor where he seeks to bring out the best in a young person’s writing and to cultivate an enduring love for the craft.

Anna O’Connor

Anna O’Connor

Anna is extremely passionate about children’s and young adult literature and published her first children’s picture book in 2020. In addition to children’s literature, Anna has had her short stories and articles published online and in national newspapers. A Quercus scholarship recipient, Anna is known for her work as a writer and activist. She is currently pursuing a BA in English at University College Cork, where she also serves as the Creative Writing Officer of the English Literature Society. As a former Write the World writer and community ambassador, Anna is extremely excited to support young writers in their creative growth.

About Write the World's Virtual Summer Writing Camps:

Jump into new genres of writing and connect with campers across the globe in Write the World’s Virtual Writing Camps.

Spend your summer immersed in a virtual community of teen writers from over 100 countries as you experiment with the written word, try your hand at new styles of writing, and work with notable professionals to create pieces you’re proud of… all without leaving your home!

Whether you choose to spend your free time filling journals with poetry and prose or are new to putting your thoughts on paper, we welcome you to join our week-long writing camps across genres in June, July, and August, 2024.

Have additional questions? Check out our parent and guardian FAQ’s here (scroll to bottom) or reach out to us at workshops@writetheworld.com to connect!

You may also like…

  • How to get published - Writing camp for teens

    How to Get Published – Writing Camp for Teens

    $275.00 Add to cart
0
    0
    Your Cart
    Your cart is emptyReturn to Shop