fbpx

Micro Memoirs — August 23-27

$249.00

What makes you, you? Which of your life experiences, big or small, have sculpted you into the person you are, and the person you are becoming? How do these stories shape your view of the world and your place within it? In this workshop, we’ll explore the genre of “micro memoir”– personal narrative essays that offer bursts of insight, windows into our lived experiences that cultivate connection with readers. Maybe you’re dying to share the story of how a summer backpacking trip with your grandfather gave you a new perspective on race relations, or how your time in “lockdown” during the COVID-19 pandemic changed your thinking about social media.

Whether you keep a daily diary or have never before written in first-person, you have a unique story to share! We look forward to investigating techniques such as tone, point-of-view, dialogue, reflection, and more, as we explore how and why personal storytelling is an important form of art and advocacy.

Meet the Workshop Facilitators below.

Out of stock

Description

Micro Memoirs Virtual Writing Workshop

August 23-27 (11am-12:30pm ET)

For young writers ages 13-19

During camp, you’ll engage in interactive writing activities, connect with peers around the world, and work together to grow your writing skills.

After camp, you’ll work independently (and asynchronously) on writing prompts and activities, guided by peer and expert review, at your own pace, for a total time commitment of about three to four hours per day.

About the Facilitators:

Janelle Milanes headshot, writing instructor Flash FictionJanelle Milanes is the author of the young adult novels The Victoria in My Head, listed as one of Bank Street’s Best Children’s Books of 2018, and Analee, In Real Life, featured in the New York Times book review. She is originally from Miami, Florida and a graduate of Davidson College, where she studied English Literature. Her passion for books led her to New York City to work at Simon & Schuster before pursuing a Masters degree in Special Education. After working in publishing, she spent ten years as an elementary school teacher. Janelle currently lives in New Jersey with her husband and two daughters.The intersection of education and writing has always held a special place in Janelle’s heart. She is eager to support young writers at Write the World as they cultivate their talents and has previously worked with Write the World teens as Guest Judge for Flash Fiction. Read Janelle’s Q&A on the Write the World blog for a glimpse at her approach to writing, editing, and the creative process.

 

Faizah Aziz Adityhails from Dhaka, Bangladesh, and is passionate about writing, literature and education. Her poems and essays have appeared in Lamp Anthology, The Daily Star, and Dhaka Tribune newspapers, and Active Muse, Double Speaks, and Urbane Verse, and The Uyir Magazine. After completing her B.A. in Interdisciplinary Politics, Philosophy and Economics from the Asian University for Women, she has taught creative and academic English to high school and college students, and adult learners across a range of settings. Currently, she is pursuing her Master in Adult Education for Social Change (IMAESC) at the University of Glasgow as part of the Erasmus Mundus Joint Masters Degree (EMJMD) Programme. Faizah has always felt at home with words and teaching, therefore, she is thrilled to be joining the Write the World community, and to collaborate and learn alongside the talented emerging writers of the world.

Have additional questions? Reach out to us at workshops@writetheworld.com to connect!

0
    0
    Your Cart
    Your cart is emptyReturn to Shop